I got the double sided copper board from Maplins. This was about £5. The regulator, capacitors and resistors were purchased from Farnell. I ordered enough to make 10 regulators and this cost a total of £40. So each regulator will cost me less than £5. If you want to make your own here are the parts you’ll need.
390 Ohm Resistor
I cut the circuit board the same size as a FlightPower 350mAh 2s lithium battery that I intend to use in my F5B models on the assumption that if the battery fits the regulator will too. The tracks were cut out using a fine tipped grinding tool on my Dremel. This took about 5 minutes. I then used a fine tipped soldering iron to place the regulator and surface mount devices. I’ve done a lot of soldering in the past but this was my first go with SMD’s and it was surprisingly easy. Pre-tin the copper board where you want the device to go, place it in position and hold it still with the tip of the small screwdriver. Then hold the iron against one side of the device for a couple of seconds and watch the solder flow. The most difficult bit was placing them in the right place to start with, especially the resistors which are so small.
I’ve chosen to use micro-deans connectors on my regulator and will modify my switches harnesses accordingly. I have chosen to do this because I already use these connectors on my indoor models and it will create a safety standard for me…micro-deans = lithium, UNI = NiMH
At the moment I’ve only had a chance for limited testing but it looks very promising. I attached a fully charged battery to the regulator and ran a single servo continuously back and forth for 90 minutes, measuring input and output voltage at regular intervals. The regulator was cold to the touch throughout. The data shows that a steady 5.2V was delivered at all times even thoguh the supply voltage was dropping the whole time. At the end of the test I recharged 179mAh indicating that the avarage current was119mA. I know that 5 servos will pull more current than one, and that they will be working harder in flight at 150mph, but these initial tests look promising.